Thursday, September 5, 2013

It´s been a hard day´s night, and I´ve been working like a dog!


September 5, 2013

Hello my dear family and friends! I hope life is great in the fantastic Estados Unidos. Speaking of letters, don´t send me any more in Mexico. Send them to California!
 
Something crazy this week. We watched an old devotional from Novemeber 2011 on Sunday with Elder Christofferson. Guess who I saw in the audience? Blake Dallon! He was sitting in the 3rd row of the choir. I laughed. I hope he´s enjoying the end of his mission too!

Espanol. It´s great. I love it. I don´t know it very well or speak it very well, but I´m beginning to love it as a language. I love the different way you express things. It implies different things and brings such a different meaning to what you are reading. It´s fantastic! I made a new goal for my language study these next 10 days: treat my Spanish study like it was Chem 105 or Math 113 (all my BYU friends will know waht that means). But I´m going to study it constantly, speak Spanglish as much as I can, and jsut enjoy every minute of being immersed in it. I´m so glad I know how to study (people in my district are struggling to focus on just studying). Huge blessing in my life to know how to hit the books hard! Oh! And I figured by the time I leave here, I´ll have the grammar understanding of Spanish 3, but a ton more vocab. (in case you were wondering how much I can learn in 6 weeks).

So a few other things. I caught a bug earlier this week (its gone, thank goodness) and we had to miss a lot of class becuase of it. My companion was so sweet and loving when I was sick. One thing I´m learning a lot from this experience is having charity and patience. I thought I had a good amount of both, but I´m realizing I didn´t. So I continually am studying and working on those two! Check out 1 Cor. 13 and Moroni 7. They´re fantastic about charity. Oh! Another goal I have. Be positive! I guess my district has been one of the most depressed/stressed districts my teachers have ever seen, so we had a "Come to Jesus" talk on Sunday, and we all have been so much happier since then! Hooray for communication!

Another cool thing I learned this week was about the Holy Ghost. My teacher, Hna. Olsen, told us to pause for about 10 seconds while were teaching to listen to the Spirit instead of saying the first thing that comes to our heads. Boy, is it hard. But I´ve been trying to do that, and my lessons are SO much better. The Spirit directs what I need to hear in order to bring the person closer to Christ. It´s crazy what 10 seconds of pausing can do! It feels awkward at times, but I´m trying to ,listen more to the Spirit as I teach instead of relying on my awesome teaching skills I inheritied form swim lessons. Cause swim lessons and the gospel go hand in hand. Going along with this, I want to be the kind of missionary who can work great with ward members. Can people email me what makes you trust a missionary with teaching the gospel to your friends? I really want to know and your advice would be invaluable!!! Please, and thank you.

Oh my goodness! I need to tell you all about one of the main ideas I learned this week. It´s about M&M´s: members and missionaries. Members are SO important in missionary work. I can´t stress that enough! I´m still only in training, but we talked a lot about it this week. It started when we had a "member" (a missionary pretending to be a member) come with us on one of our visits. It helps the investigator understand things so much more with someone who has a normal life there to bear testimony of truths you are teaching. The Spirit is there a lot more, the investigator feels so much more comfortable, and it just makes the whole lessons about 1000X better. En serio! But I encourage ALL of you: go out with the missionaries! Befriend new converts and investigators! If you feel like you can´t do missionary work, just start by being an investigator or new convert´s friend. It makes a whole world of difference and blessings will be poured out on your head. Reach Ch. 13 of PMG to learn more about how to do missionary work. It recommends that each family make their own ward mission plan.

I HAVE 10 DAYS LEFT IN THE CCM. I´ve been here for a month. The time has flown by! I still can´t believe that it´s gone by so fast. It´s really exciting (and also kinda nervewracking) to think that in 10 days from now, I´ll be back in the greatest country of them all in the wonderful state of California teaching people about Jesus Christ in SPANISH! It´s so crazy. I love the CCM and the Spirit here, but I´m ready to go do some real work with some real people! As I´m getting ready to head out, I´m trying to decide some new goals based on what I have learned about missionary work here. Here´s what I´m thinking:
1) Be 110% obedient. Perfect obedience, just like the 2000 stripling warriors (or 2000 jovenes). I´m realizing how hard that is. We had a talk from one of our teachers about obedience and since then, I´ve been thinking about what I can do better to be more obedient. And wow! Do I have a lot to work on. Like getting to class for personal study on time! (Being on time? A cinch for me, right?) Or being in bed at 10:30 (that´s always been easy for me!) or other CCM rules. So I think that is one thing I´m going to work on while I´m here.
2) Be a PMG missionary. Where to start? By reading PMG cover to cover. I read it for Personal Progress and loved it then, but as a missionary, I love it even more. That book is SO great. I´ve been studying sections and chapters out of it the entire time I´ve been here, but I´m going to read and study the rest of the sections and continue to during my mission.
3) Sacrifice more. Elder Andersen said "you sacrifice for what you love, and you love what you sacrifice for." I want to sacrifice everything I can for the Lord these next 17 months. It´s hard to figure out what else to sacrifice. It´s going to take some prayer to figure that one out. But I´m excited to give myself more to the Lord to be even more in tune to His will for me!

So before I go, let me share one spiritual insight from this week. I was deeply studying Enos this week. I realized that to keep unconverted people righteous, you need to continually stir them up to remember the Lord through hastening, teaching basic doctrines, etc. That´s why apostles, bishops, stake presdients, auxillary leaders, etc. always talk about the importance of being converted to the Lord. We don´t want to the people who it is easy to fall away if we aren´t constantly reminded of doing the basics (going to church, reading scriptures, prayer, etc).

Well, I love you! I miss you a ton, and wish I could be there for all the adventures at home, but I know this is what I´m suppose to do. This is the hardest thing I´ve done, but I wouldn´t trade it for anything in the world. Anything. Have fun at school, band, BYU, other universities, and enjoy the end of the summer weather! You are all in my thoughts and prayers everyday!

Love you!
 Hermana Lau


No comments:

Post a Comment