Thursday, September 12, 2013

What do you want.... Bacon, beans, or freedom?

September 12, 2013

Hello from Mexico! So let me quickly explain the subject line. We were talking about the difference between Canada, Mexico, and the US and how some Mexicans consider us North Americans and some consider themselves North Americans too. Well, one of the elders said this and I thought it was funny. So there you go!

But let me answer a few questions first: I get to go to the temple every other week. The sessions are totally in Spanish, so it´s interesting to see how much I understand. My understanding of what is being said improves each time! Today was my last time going. It´s a gorgeous place.  Thanks for the letters!

I´m leaving on Monday!!!! 3 more days. AHHHH! It´s exciting, but frightening at the same time. Even though I know a lot of Spanish, I still have a hard time understanding things. I´m really glad I´m going to the US. I can´t imagine going to Russia or anything like that. Props to Steven. And I´m so excited to be going back to the states! The USA is the best. I love Mexico, but I´m ready for Californian sun! Speaking of the US, I can't believe 9/11 was 12 years ago! I still remember it vividly. Especially since we lived in DC at the time. Thanks to all the men and women who serve, served, or will serve our country!

Mexico´s independence day celebration starts Sunday night. We´re having a big celebration on Saturday night. I´ll let you know about it on Sunday! I´ll send an email on Sunday, since I won´t have Pday next week. So write me!

I keep forgetting to tell you this, but I gave a talk on my 3rd Sunday here! It was about repentance, and I did the whole thing basically entirely in Spanish. My grammar was AWFUL, but the Spirit was there, especially after a Holland quote I shared. And bam! The Spirit was super strong. I love Holland--he brings the fire.

So for studying this week, I mostly study the Book of Mormon (bom) or Preach My Gospel (pmg). Can I just tell you how much I LOVE PMG?  I encourage everyone to read it. I read it when I was in HS and I´m so glad I did. Even though not everything applied to me at that point, I still got a lot out of reading it. Especially young men and women who want to serve missions. Maybe you can challenge the Priests to read it Dad? I´m glad I have such a strong love for the book when I came here, and I don´t have to waste time figuring out what´s inside and how to use it. My favorite section is Christlike attributes--especially with my challenges with my companion. It´s great. And the BoM! So we study for an hour every morning, and sometimes I read conference talks instead of the BoM. I decided that no matter what, I´m reading the BoM every day, cause I can tell the days I don´t read it (even though I´m still having scripture study). It totally applies to our day. Cool insight from this week: the Gadianton robbers. Most people don´t have to worry about having problems with that right? WRONG. For most of us, the Gadianton robbers are like worldly temptations that distract us from following the example of Christ. Our army against them? Doing the Standard Mormon Answers (prayer, scripture study, attending church) with desire. Act, don´t be acted upon. And cool insight from the BoM this week: Helaman 10:4-5. It´s my goal to feel like that by the end of my mission. Maybe it´ll give you some motitivation!

So we had the district ahead of us leave this week. They were good friends. They helped me a ton at the beginning remember that I choose to be happy. I´m so glad I began to learn that lesson during school. Thank you to all my BYU friends that helped me realize how to work hard, but still enjoy life at the same time. You guys influenced my life SO much for the better. And I "am eternally grateful." I still have a ways to go, but I had a great start at school.

It´s been a great experience to grow so much during my time here. I´m glad I´ve already had the opportunity to help people come unto Christ. Me and her talked about how we can both rely on the Lord more, so we set goals and made plans (just as PMG says). And to all who ever made fun of my list making skills: they work miracles on the mission! So there. You guys were just jealous at my skills! Haha, no. But seriously, I´m grateful that I know how to plan. It´s helped a ton on my mission with goals. SMART goals have some merit to them (sorry all MPS students who have to suffer those goal making sessions. It actually works).

So I only have a few minutes left, but here´s some stats that I figured out this week. Each month is 5.5% of my mission. Each week is 1.3%. Each day is .2%. With those numbers in mind, in makes it seem like the work is going a lot faster. I´m almost 7% done with my mission. And that´s a crazy thought.

But I love you all! I hope you all write me. I love hearing from my immediate family, but I would love to hear from other people in the outside world. I can promise you a handwritten response!!!! :)

I love you! I know this gospel is true, and that the Savior can help us through anything. He´s helped me through the craziest, hardest 6 weeks of my life, and I´ve never been happier. Remember to smile! Life is a great adventure we have, let´s not waste too much time being upset with things we can´t control!

Peace out. Word (or in Spanish, palabra).

Hermana Sami Lau

No comments:

Post a Comment