Monday, September 23, 2013

Is she Chinese or Something?

September 23, 2013

OH MY GOODNESS. I have so much to write! So little time. Here it goes!

I'M IN BAKERSFIELD!!!! What is this nonsense???? But first, my story begins in Mexico. I got a blessing the night before I left, and it was amazing to hear things that were specifically for me. It's brought me a lot of comfort this week, especially when I was leaving into an unknown world. The Priesthood is awesome, and all worthy men are incredibly blessed to have it, it such a great way to serve people.

But we left for the bus at 2:30 in the morning on Monday. After I called you guys in Phoenix, I had just started walking back when two elders ran to me, grabbed my bags and we ran to the plane. It was... an adventure. But I got on the plane with 26 other new missionaries who were headed here, and we headed to Bakersfield!

When we walked out to baggage claim, I was met with a flash of a camera and my mission president! President Wilson is AWESOME. I love him. All worries and concerns I had about having one I didn't get along with melted. He's so great. When we were standing around the one baggage claim in Bakersfield, he came up to me and asked me if I was majoring in Civil Engineering. I was shocked he knew! He kept telling me that he knew I must be a hard worker from that major. I thought it was pretty funny. In my interview with him, he told me Spanish will come. Which is good. He also told me that I won't probably be ever on a bike. He has 5 daughters and he's very protective over the sisters (we text the Zone Leaders every night telling we are home). But we have a car. Even though I won't get a bike, I have an awesome ward, so I was pretty happy about that!

But when we got off the plane, there was nothing here. I mean nothing. But a love just overwhelmed me. I know this is where I'm supposed to be, and I'm SO excited to be here. We have sisters and elders in the ward. And guess what? I serve Spanish and English! I do both! It's really interesting, this stake doesn't have a Spanish branch, so it was dissolved into this ward. The Elders do the Spanish through the entire stake, and we do it just in our ward boundaries. We teach mainly in English, which is nice, I just hope I can learn Spanish sometime soon! It's the 2nd best ward ever, right behind the Millard Ward. The members and ward leadership are great. They help us a ton and feed us SO much. I'm going to gain SO much weight here. I'm so scared! We eat with English and Spanish families. They're both great, but the Spanish give you SO much food. I always waddle out of their homes. It's crazy. So maybe I won't eat lunch ever so I can balance out this intake of food? Good idea? I thought so ;)

Oh! But thank you for everyone who send me letters! That was one of the first thing I heard off the plane: "Oh, you're Sis.Lau? You have SO much mail!" It was great. And THANK YOU so much for all the prayers I received this week! I can tell how much they blessed me this week. I was thinking that this week hasn't been too bad, and I realized that it was because I have a ton of people praying for me. So thank you for your prayers. Prayers do miracles. I need to learn how to have better prayers, because there are so many blessing HF wants to bless us with, we just need to be open with him and ask him.

My companion is pretty cool. She's pretty quiet and goes home the transfer before Steven.  I had to laugh with Steven's email about the greenies having so much energy: she asked me to "follow her example" because I was going to fast. She's really nice. I figured I will be with her this next transfer and then be here for a little while after. Unless I get transferred in 5 weeks. Who knows!

But it's amazing how much people look for blessings when they interact with us. I can see it when they feed us. And invite us in their home. It's awesome to see the power and authority of my calling and how it helps people's life. Life is sad and hard. But it's amazing to see how the gospel blesses lives and really makes us happy! 

We have a baptism this week. I'll write more about it next week. But it's been cool to see how the Spirit teaches. Me and my companion have the same ideas about scriptures or talks to share. It's pretty cool!

Well, I need to write my mission president. I love you all, and I can't wait to write you more next week!! 

Love you!
Hermana Sami Lau

PS: everyone asks me where my name is from. It's really funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment