Thursday, August 29, 2013

3 weeks ago, Hermana Lau was born. But there´s 19 years of backstory called: Sami

August 29, 2013

Hola mi familia y mis amigos! Como le va? I´m glad Omaha is as hot as ever! I´m been watching the weather (when we come use the computers for language study) and it´s hotter than Bakersfield! Out of this world! But I´m glad that it will be great for Labor Day weekend. Enjoy the pool--I miss it tons, and its so hard not to be able to go swim a set! To answer your questions: Mexico es super bien! Me encanta la comida. Yo como muchas tortillas y dulces. Yo pienso todos chocolate es hace con crack. It´s so good! Tell Bowker I said hello! He was one of my favorite teachers at West. To all other people: thanks for the letters, best of luck with college starting this week. Shout out to my BYU friends-- yo quiero to hear from you! Thanks Emily J. for writing me :)

So let me tell you about this week! What a week! It was... crazy. On Thursday, I was having the hardest time. I was getting really frustrated. I broke down in prayer on Thursday night. I didn´t know where else to go. And it was the best thing I have done in a while. Relying on the Lord with your problems is great. When I was praying, I realized that I´m not perfect, that I can´t fix it by myself, and that there needs to be a greater hand involved. I also realized that I need to practice patience, which is well... hard. But it´s been going well since then! Shout out to Steven--Thanks for the email. It´s really good to see the other side of the situation. I´m learning a ton from the whole experience too! The Lord knows what He is doing!

Espanol. Oy ve! It´s so hard. I´m at 3 weeks, more than half way, and I feel like I can´t speak very well. I´ve been analyzing how I study, and I´ve been changing a few things. First of all, I realized I need to speak Spanish cada dia, todo dia. Our zone leader (hes only a week ahead of me) has fantastic Spanish. That´s because he talks in it all the time. So I decided to do that too. Me and a few of the elders tried to make a bet to do it all day one day (20 pesos were on the line) and I only made it to lunch. We decided to just make it a daily habit. It´s going to be hard (the day I did it was so tough! I couldnt express myself like I wanted), but it´ll be good for me and my district. With the Lord, all things are possible, right? Oh! And I´m going to try to take to the Latinos more, ask them how to say things, and such. We sat with a group of them at dinner once, and they made fun of our Spanish. But we see them all the time, and were now friends! Theyre cool. Also, grammar is super hard. As we learn it, I swear I don´t speak English correctly, since I never knew what a gerund or past participle was. So grammar is my next target! The plan? Practice, practice, practice!

So studying and missionary work. I´ve had feelings of overwhelmness this week. We had many devotionals that talked about being a PMG missionary, which is a 200 page instruction guide on how to be one. We had lessons that didnt go well, and I turned to the Lord. One thing our teachers have been telling us daily is that we need to turn to the Lord and the scriptures when we have questions and concerns. I did just that, and let me testify-- it works! I felt so much peace as I´ve talked with God more sincerely than I ever have in my life, and feasted on the scriptures more deeply then ever. One thing I´m realizing is that when we study for our investigators, we are blessed to know what they need and we´re blessed too. That´s been really hard to learn things in Spanish that can help your investigators, but I have grown to love them even more as I try. It´s so cool what charity can do! I decided to be the "perfect" missionary everyday, or strive to. I´ve been a lot happier, relied on the Lord and Spirit more, and feel more successful.

My district is having similar experiences. We talked a lot about Holland´s "Lord, I Believe" talk. It´s such a great talk. I loved that Nicole Sweeney wrote me about that talk, since we´ve been studying it these past few days. It´s such a great talk. If you ever feel like your faith is growing thin, read it. If you have a heartbeat, you should read it too. Just saying.

We had another live devotional with Provo again! I´ve had 3 devotionals since I´ve been here, and 2 of them have been from apostles! Elder Andersen spoke this week. It was broadcasted live from Provo. Did you know Provo has over 4000 missionaries right now? I´m soooooo glad I´m here, where there´s 600 at most. Our campus is So much bigger too, which is awesome. I love the CCM! But it was cool to think about how Brody was at that broadcast too. The one devotional we would both have together at the MTC was with the apostle that we both got to meet in Carthage! It was a cool bonding moment. And I love Elder Andersen, especially after he spoke in Hong Kong. He spoke about "Love first, then sacrifice." You love the things you sacrifice for, and you sacrifice for the things you love. I decided I need to sacrifice more of my comforts and past life for the Lord in this great work. It was a great devotional!

We got to go the temple today. It was really cool. It was my second time in Mexico. I understood a lot of the Spanish in the session, but it still was hard. But it was great to sit in the walls of the House of the Lord and recieve revelation. Like "what should I focus on these last 3 weeks in the CCM? What would prepare me most for the field?"
Mexico is great. There was a super loud fiesta on Saturday night outside the CCM and the bass was shaking our beds. I´ll try to send a video of the music. The sound on my camera is bad, so you´ll have to listen carefully.

I love you so much! I´m so grateful for your prayers and support. I can feel angels helping me through the weeks because of your prayers! I love you all with my entire heart. I miss you a ton, but I´m doing the right thing. You´re always in my prayers. Keep praying and reading your scriptures. It brings such great comfort in your life. I can testify of that!

Love you with all my heart! God bless you.

Hermana Lau
                                     Earthquake Spots
                                     When we got Soaked!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment