Monday, November 25, 2013

It's a Christmas Miracle!!!



November 25, 2013

Mi familia y amigos!!!! Como estas?

This week has been amazing! Are you ready for a great letter? I need to make up for last week. Fasten your seatbelts... and here we go! 
I'm going to go by day as much as possible. Sorry if it's a little bit bumpy! That's why you're wearing a seatbelt, right?

Let me tell you about our investigator, “D”. “D” is in his late 30's and goes to seminary. Yep, that's right. He goes to seminary. So we've been going there a few times during the week to teach him. I extended my first baptismal commitment to him... and he excepted!

We we're able to help one of our recent converts (my only baptism) this week with some service. She and her husband feed hundreds of needy people during the holidays, so we wrapped silverware one day and then helped serve food. It was rewarding and hopefully helped her family warm up to us a little bit more (they aren't members... yet). She's 81, and reminds me a lot of Grandma. I love being around her!

On the front of missionary work, this week has been full of miracles! We got 3 new investigators in ONE day! Our area has changed entirely in one week. How? Well, mostly due to a newly returned missionary. He's setting us up with tons of people to teach and is helping us with some of our other investigators. We've seen him about everyday this week. He's a heaven sent! But look for him next year on the BYU football field; he's a linebacker for the team. But let me tell you about one of his friends that we are teaching: “B”!

“B” is a student. He's been feeling a need to become baptized and we had a great lesson with him talking about the Atonement. The Spirit was so strong, and he agreed to be baptized if he comes to know that the church is true. And he wants his close friends to join us on his journey! Talk about a great investigator. 

Also, we got another new investigator this week: “M”! She was a referral and is a teenager. She wants to be a member of the church SO badly! She grew up attending, but was never baptized. So she has a baptismal date for the 7th of December! We're stoked to have her. And her friend that we taught also! We're meeting with them on Tuesday. Miracles!

And another huge miracle. “A”! I found her (through a member referral, her best friend left for a mission the week I got here) and have been with her this entire time. We we're hitting the point where we knew we needed to ask her about baptism. And we were terrified. Not only is she our investigator, but our friend also. We didn't know what to expect. But when we extended the invitation to be baptized, she accepted! It was one of the most beautiful lessons I have ever been in. The Spirit was SO strong, and I could feel God's love for her so strongly. She's afraid that her parents won't support her in her decision, so we fasted for her. Yesterday, she talked to her Mom and her Mom agreed for her to be baptized! We were so happy!!! She now has to talk to her Dad, but otherwise she is super excited for this change in her life!

Some cool things about the Spanish culture: since it's holiday season, that also means it's tamale season!!! I'm super stoked. I love tamales. SO much. And when Hispanic women talk to you, they rub your hands. It's different, but I like it a lot. Also, there's this cute little Hispanic lady in our ward that speaks English really well, and she calls me her hija! She brings food for us each week and adores me. I love it! 

One thing that I'm really thankful for this week is repentance. I'm so grateful for the opportunity we have to be forgiven for the mistakes we make. It helps us become better people, and I love it. What an amazing thing that we have a Heavenly Father who loved us so much that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ here to bear all of our sin and heartache. Jesus Christ always understands how we feel. My favorite scripture of this is Alma 7:11-13. 

Speaking of being thankful, I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving! I'm going to 3 dinners that day: a Hispanic one, and 2 English ones. I'm stoked. We'll be eating all day! So don't worry, I'm taken well care of here in 2nd ward. Pray that I'll be here for one more transfer!

I love you all! I hope everyone is enjoying the cold weather and the holidays. I'm still wearing t-shirts, so it still feels like September to me. It's the strangest weather I've ever seen.

Well, I must go. Enjoy this week! I really love you all. Enjoy Thanksgiving! Remember all that the Lord has blessed you with, because He gives us SO much in our lives. I can see how He has blessed my life everyday, especially with friends and family like you!

Con amor, 
Hermana Lau

1 comment: